Friday, April 24, 2009

Newest News

We have been pretty busy the last few weeks with work, church, and Mike finishing up his semester. Just a few things to mention...

*I have officially applied to grad school at Texas A & M University Corpus Christi!! It took me a little while to complete my essay but it was finally submitted with my application today. I did not want to mention it until it was official. And I guess it won't be official until I'm accepted.

Anyway...I am so excited to be entering the MAC program. MAC is Master's and Certification. I can complete my teacher certification and earn a Master's degree in Secondary Education with only 15 extra hours. I don't look forward to adding something to my schedule but I am very excited with the idea of teaching. Teaching was my goal when I entered college...it was my goal from an early age...but with moving to New Orleans and not being settled until now, it hasn't been an option.

We were at a Student Life Conference in February when I began thinking about finishing my certification. God began speaking to me about MY role in Beeville. Yes, I'm in the role of Youth Pastor's wife but I am not getting a chance to be a part of the community or meet others in the Beeville community due to working 20 miles away at the Children's Home. I feel secluded here and feel I am missing out on the relationships I could build if I were in another position. Plus, teaching is one of the best ways to be involved in the community. I'm excited to work with students in a broader spectrum.

*LifeGroups is going very well!! We have about 8-9 core youth group kids that come to our house each week for LifeGroups and they often bring 1-2 friends. The topics of discussion have been challenging for them and they seem to be enjoying the deeper content.

*We have formed a Leadership Team among the youth group and are very excited about that. It includes 6 youth that have shown leadership qualities since we've been here. We had our first meeting last Sunday to go over what the Leadership Team will do and what it means to be a part of the group. I'm ready to give the leaders some responsibility and watch them grow in their leadership skills.

*We have passed our 6 month mark in Beeville (April 16)!! Our 6 month mark of being homeowners and my employment at the Children's Home will be on April 27. I can't believe we've been here 6 months. In most cases, it feels like just yesterday that we said goodbye to our friends and family and it feels like FOREVER since we said goodbye to our friends and family. I am very ready to surpass our 1 year mark! We have not lived in the same place longer than 1 year since we got married! Don't believe me?
Townhouse that I lived in when we got married - 2.5 months
Townhouse next door - 1 year
Apartment in Kenner, LA - 3 weeks
Hampton, GA with the Muehlbugers - 2 months
Woodstock, GA with the Jacksons - 7 months
Andrews with my Nana - 1.5 months
Andrews in my Nana's guesthouse - 4 months
Apartment in Brownwood - 11.5 months
Apartment in Midland - 1 year
Some people may ask why I like to share how long (or short) we lived places...it reminds me that God is in control. It also helps me be thankful for where God has placed us now.
Well, I'm off to start my weekend! Tonight includes Mike making me dinner and catching up on my TV shows...our DVR is so full!! Tomorrow will include Mike finishing some school work and me getting to organize! YEA! Also, we'll be celebrating Gina's birthday...FUN, FUN!
Have a safe one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT post! Congrats on all you've accomplished and I hope you get to "bee" in Beeville for as long as God would have you there. I wish I could visit but financially I can't right now. Sorry we keep missing each other. However, I don't have a lot going on tomorrow so if you get a moment you can ring me...

Anonymous said...

HAVING YOUR VERY OWN HOME PRICELESS!! MOM